Friday, May 13, 2016

Heading Out to the Highway

Time to hit the road. I don't know how much the extended period of packing the car helped with not forgetting things, but it did cut down on the last minute things that needed to be rounded up before leaving.












Weather reports look like we'll catch rain down the Washington and Oregon coasts, which will add more challenges that I was hoping for on this trip, but we'll manage. Worst case, we don't actually cook at the campsite. I suppose that would have been an advantage to getting a camp stove, which might have fit in the boot, but given how much other stuff we had to buy for the trip, I'm okay with this.

One of the tricks of the trip is that we each have a drink + snack budget of $5/day. Part of the goal of the trip is teaching Moira about budgeting and comparison shopping. She's picked out a couple things she really wants to get on the trip, so we put that on her tab already as a placeholder. She also has a couple of things from local grocery stores or Costco. She's also bringing leftover Christmas and Easter candy to stretch things farther. Meanwhile, we had a little lesson on measurements and ratios so that I can fill a couple flasks to bring with me. I'm not sure I've ever had an actual cause to use them before, but this seems like the perfect opportunity (except for the part that I need to make sure they go in the boot). I'm personally reserving budget for Donut Man and probably a shake from Foster's Freeze on the return trip.


Since Moira is navigating, we told her tablet to download maps from here to Anaheim. We'll see if she actually has enough space. Maybe this will be enough to inspire an interest in math, since during the measurement and ratio lesson, she complained about how bored she was.

First stop, Ocean City, and we'll see how well I can manage to update on the road.




2 comments:

  1. Hope you have that rain gear handy. I just beat it coming home. Starting now - about an hour after I got back. I don't care for riding in the rain, especially on freeways. Wet and cold at 70 mph is not a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have that rain gear handy. I just beat it coming home. Starting now - about an hour after I got back. I don't care for riding in the rain, especially on freeways. Wet and cold at 70 mph is not a good time.

    ReplyDelete